Hey guys, so I usually don’t make posts on this matter, but I thought this was important.
So a bunch of my friends are readers/writers and I came home to find them up in arms about a YA Crush Tourney on YA Sisterhood. I was a little confused- the idea is to let people vote for characters they consider crush worthy and then the top 10 or something go down face to face.
This seems rather innocent until I noticed what all the fuss was about. One of the character’s on the list in his book is a rapist (those who have read these books know what I’m talking about but I’ll just say he’s from TMI series)
Clearly, this isn’t good. While my friends and I do respect popular vote, it seemed outlandish to allow a rapist onto a list of romantic guys. Another is an abuser. They requested the names (mostly the rapist one) get taken down, due to the fact they wouldn’t win anyway and that is was a horrid example to young girls on who should be seen as a ideal lover. (Many more on the list aren’t fantastic either, but we’re only sticking to these two major issues). We thought that would be that.
No, no it wasn’t.
As you can see in my commentary on the last one, I think that’s rather the point.
So can Tumblr get on this? Only 25 of us isn’t making much of a dent and said character has almost 80 votes! This isn’t personal dislike- it’s more disturbing and we have a good hunch the author would hate him being on this list as well (She has been told about this, and we are waiting for a response if any).
On the site itself, they are now moderating it so we can’t argue this addition and censoring us as the voting comes on. It shows an utter lack of consideration to a really serious issue.
Latest response from the site.
YACrushTourney fans. I know there are concerns about some characters in the tourney. We understand your feelings completely, but we…Can’t discount other people’s votes or opinions. We can remind everyone that the #YAVillainTourney will be this fall, so… #YACrushTourney”
- akaalexia reblogged this from brittanyhowardbooks and added:
- zoeysunicorns reblogged this from akaalexia
- woodcommalithia reblogged this from akaalexia and added:
- snowyclouds reblogged this from akaalexia
- imaginaryjulie reblogged this from akaalexia
- for-shits-and-hiddles reblogged this from akaalexia
- theinvisiblekunst reblogged this from akaalexia and added:
- tommcready said: what the hell okay i don’t have a twitter but what the hell
- greencarnations said: WAIT WHO FROM THE TMI SERIES MY SISTER’S TRYING TO GET ME TO FINISH IT I NEED TO KNOW WHERE THE TRIGGERS ARE GOING TO COME IN
- akaalexia posted this